Cyprus Passion

Faneromeni Church in Nicosia’s old center is also known as Panagia Faneromeni Church. The location of the church is easy to find in the historical center of the old town of Nicosia. This church was the largest church in the capital of Cyprus but this is not the only remarkable part of the church. It was built in 1872, on the old Orthodox convent that was there from 1715.

This church was dedicated to the Vergin Mary as an icon of the Vergin Mary was found in the ruins of the previous temple that was there in 1715. This icon is now kept in the sanctuary and it was found to be dated back to the 14th century.

The exterior of the church shows architecture design from the Byzantine, Latin and Neoclassic eras. The interior of the church showcases frescos dating back to 1929. The church is filled with paintings from wall to wall and also the ceiling. The paintings date back to the 16th century and up o the 20th century too.

Many artists over the decade have helped create this vast collection of frescos, paintings and wood carvings in the interior of the church. Two of the many artists are M. Taliadoros (wood carvings) and Adamantios Diamantis (painter).

In the outside area of the church is a courtyard and also an all-girls school named after the church. There is also a library, a Catechistic school, some offices for the temple and the Mausoleum of the Cypriot martyrs. There are also cafes and shops near by and around the courtyard too. It makes for a great sport to drink a coffee and relax around the beautiful surroundings.

The marble Mausoleum houses relics of the Cypriot Bishops and preists executed during the Ottoman rule in 1821. The Mausoleum can be found in the courtyard to the east of the church.

Traditional coffee shops located just outside the church

The Library was built in 1933 by using funds from the Church itself. Some of the rarest collections of writings were onces kept in the Library. There were also writings and books that had reached some 20 volumes at some point. However, after the decision of Archebishop Chrysostomos A’, all these were moved to the Library of Archebishop Makarios C’ in Nicosia.

Read also